Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's not Gob, but I'll take it!

I, like probably a lot of you are still deeply in mourning over "Arrested Development". They say things get better in time but it has been over five years and the pain of losing one of the most famous "great shows that nobody was watching" is still raw. This pain and sorrow has caused me to seek small satisfactions through the projects that the cast moved on to post development. While Bateman and Cera have eased some of the pain by taking their talents to the big screen, I have been longing to see some Bluth's in my living room again. I only made it through a couple episodes of Portia de Rossi's "Better off Ted" and my hopes were so high for "Running Wilde" that I broke my own tivo rules and committed to a season pass without even seeing the pilot, how could Horowitz and Arnett together again not be amazing!? We all know how that turned out...but maybe worst of all was seeing the amazing Jessica Walter, the beloved Bluth matriarc on...gasp...TV Land. Since my heart has been broken over and over again, I went into Arnett's new project "Up All Night" with extreme caution. I saw it sitting on my now playing list and talked myself into giving these Bluth's one more chance...

This show is exactly what I have been hoping for since 2006. Will Arnett is finally in the type of role that suits him perfectly, the Gob we know and love is long gone but the goofy, nerdy husband and new stay at home father who thinks liking Train is "ironic" and wears a Huey Lewis and the New's t-shirt is unbelievably likeable. Equally likeable is Christina Applegate who I also gladly welcome back to television. She is a working mom trying to balance being a television producer, a wife and a new mom to a baby that although loved was completely unexpected. As a couple, they totally work and as parents who weren't sure they even wanted children, watching them adjust to parenthood is incredibly funny and entertaining. Their struggles with still wanting to be cool and have a social life while trying to take care of a new baby are real and completely relatable. As a couple, they are super fun to watch and I can't help wishing for some flashback episodes to see what their life was like pre-baby Amy.

Maya Rudolph as an over the top, ego centric, Oprah type with her own talk show is perfect casting and her ability to play this character so well off the heels of Bridesmaids and 2009's Away We Go shows that she is capable of so much more than just impersonating Whitney Houston and Donatella Versace.

I'm two episodes in and the second was even better than the first.  Please watch this show, if only so Will Arnett can start feeling like a man again at home instead of Mr. Amy Poehler, plus I'm pretty sure that everything that Lorne Michaels touches turns to gold...except for maybe MacGruber, but hey everyone makes mistakes.


1 comment: